The aim of the strategy is to prevent and reduce the suicide rate across the whole of Nottinghamshire. This will be achieved by focussing on the following areas:
- Training and awareness raising amongst those in health, the public sector and at a community level, who are in contact with those at risk of suicide
- Reducing suicide in high risk groups, particularly those who self harm, mental health service users, offenders and vulnerable groups such as the unemployed
- Reducing access to means and opportunity, particularly in safe care settings, self poisoning and understanding local hot spots
- Improving information and intelligence on suicide in Nottinghamshire
- Learning from best practice through audit and evaluation
These have been identified as local priorities for action as they are based on the National Suicide Prevention Strategy for England1 and recognise that these aspects need local action and are not being taken forward through other strategies.